2018 AGM

St Budeaux Cycling Club

Founded 1896

Affiliated to British Cycling and Cycling Time Trials

Minutes of St Budeaux Cycling Club’s Annual General Meeting
held on 19 November 2018
St. Pancras Church Hall, Honicknowle Lane, Plymouth, PL2 3QT

1.         Apologies:

Apologies had been received from Bruce & Susann Burton, Terence Leonard, Graham Knipe, Helen Ballantyne and Jo Turpin.

Attendees were; Louise Mack, Mike Vine, Hywel Evans, Sian Evans, Jim & Sue Jennings, Terry & Sue Casey, Colin Steer, Greg Mack, Dave Skinner, Roger Turner, John & David Jane and Jon Price.

2.         Chairperson’s Opening Remarks:

Hywel welcomed everyone to the meeting (his first as Chairperson) and confirmed that after a lot of wrangling with HSBC over the mandate he is finally able to step down as Treasurer and passed the club’s bank account documentation to Mike as the new Treasurer.

Hywel reported that the Club had 33 members, some of whom had enjoyed a successful trip to France to watch the Tour de France with a further trip to Majorca taking place in May 2019.  Club members were also enjoying regular rides on Thursdays as well as Sundays, social nights and a Christmas event.

3/4.    Minutes of Annual General Meeting 21st November 2017 and Matters Arising:

These had previously been distributed to all members and as there were no matters arising, all passed nem con and the Minutes were signed by Hywel.

5.         Acceptance of reports from the following:

(a)       General Secretary                              Louise Mack
(b)       Treasurer                                           Hywel Evans
(c)       Cycling Time Trials Secretary          Hywel Evans
(d)       British Cycling Secretary                  Louise Mack
(e)       Audax Secretary                                Roger Turner
(f)        Website Manager                              ?
(g)       Child Protection Officer                    Siân Evans

General Secretary: Louise had nothing to report but asked if there was anybody who would like the role as she was also the unofficial Social Secretary and only took on the role of General Secretary temporarily until somebody else came forward.

Treasurer: Hywel reported that he had re-affiliated with Cycling Time Trials so members could race and as stated earlier, Mike would take over as Treasurer.  Hywel presented detailed unaudited accounts (a copy of which had been distributed to members prior to the AGM).

CTT Secretary: Hywel reported that there was still no interest in running time trials.

BC Secretary: Lou said that she had received an email requesting our annual membership renewal and this would be completed.

Audax Secretary: Roger reported that he hadn’t received any ‘stamped’ brevit cards from members.  Most members were unaware that they had to let Roger have their brevit cards but would do so in the future.  There was quite a lot of interest in doing audaxes this year and Roger confirmed that the audax headquarters needed to be in either Devon or Cornwall to qualify for points.  As there were several members who’d only done the one audax, the audax trophy will not be given out this year.

Website Manager: It is suspected that we no longer have a website manager and would be discussed under AOB.

Child Protection Officer:  Sian confirmed that she is happy to stay in this role for another year.

6.         Election of Officers for 2018:

President:  Roger Turner was nominated by John Jane and seconded by Mike Vine.

Chairperson:  Hywel Evans was nominated by Sian Evans and seconded by Louise Mack.

General Secretary: Louise Mack was nominated by Sue Jennings and seconded by Hywel Evans.

Treasurer: Mike Vine was nominated by Hywel Evans and seconded by Louise Mack.

Website Manager: Mike Vine was nominated by Terry Casey and seconded by Dave Skinner.

7.         Appointment of Auditors for 2018-19:

Roger said that Alf Palmer who previously audited our accounts is willing to continue and Hywel would try to contact him (although he is likely to be abroad).  Mike said he may have someone who could audit the accounts as well.

8.         Any Other Business:

Archives
Colin said that he had a lot of the Club’s archives which could make interesting reading as the Club had been going since 1923 with a break for the war years.  Louise had discussed this previously with Hywel and a suggestion was made to scan them for prosperity and safety.  A meeting will be scheduled at Colin’s house for Hywel, Colin and anybody else who would like to attend to go through these in the first instance and report back to the Club members on possible action.

Website
Terry said that in order to attract new members and for members to post rides, the Club needed a working website.  At the moment our website domain name goes to an error page so the first course of action was to re-acquire this and Hywel volunteered to look into this.  Mike volunteered to be the new Website Manager although if it involved WordPress he may need some guidance setting it up but would probably be okay maintaining it.  Louise mentioned that she maintains her workplace website using WordPress but an IT expert set it up.  Louise suggested we could approach Graham Lang to help us out on a paid concern if necessary as the Club had sufficient funds.

Facebook
Louise said that herself and Sue Jennings were able to carry out minor editing duties on the Facebook page but that she couldn’t make any major changes or invite all members to events as the existing Club Facebook was a page of Mike Dacosta’s personal Facebook.  We may need to create an independent Facebook account for the Club which could involve a regular fee, and Louise offered to look into this.

Kit
Hywel confirmed that he still had many items of Club kit for sale, including the ‘Captain Scarlet’ type gilets that only Sian seemed to be able to model without looking like someone who left the clothes hanger in!  If anybody wants to try one of these we are giving them away free of charge to members.  A 3-week window for Club kit orders has to be opened so if anybody is after kit that Hywel doesn’t have in stock please let him.  There is a minimum number of kit orders that have to be placed before an order can be fulfilled.

Social Events
Sue Jennings thanked Louise for arranging the monthly Club member nights and Christmas ride.

Constitution
Louise mentioned that she had recently read the Club’s Constitution which was last revised in 2013 and that it would probably need updating for social media and GDPR.  Any amendments to the Constitution would need to be made at an Extraordinary General meeting.  Hywel asked if British Cycling could provide a draft Constitution for us to use and Louise said she was sure she had seen it on their website and would investigate it.

Cycling Time Trials
Louise had brought along the annual report and statement of accounts 2018 for Cycling Time Trials.  Louise will forward a copy to members upon request.

British Cycling
Louise also brought along two types of membership forms for British Cycling which provides liability insurance, legal support and retail benefits; one which can be used by members to join at a discounted rate and another to renew at the existing rate.  Louise will scan the leaflets and email members.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 20:28.